Please consider this, a Checlist to use as a guide when ’’CLOSING UP YOUR DESERT HOME FOR THE SUMMER
* Remove any FOR SALE SIGNS from view.
* A week or two before your departure date you should arrange for your mail to be stopped or forwarded.
* Store valuables or important documents in a safe deposit box at the bank or in a secure place.
* Put a pad lock on your electrical box if it is located on the home′s exterior.
* If you are a new owner, change all entrance door locks.
* Trim bushes and pull up and discard foliage.
* Clean out refrigerator and freezer, as we as trash and recycling.
* Turn off main water valve to the house. Leave all interior doors open so the air can circulate inside the house.
* lf you are leaving a car, disconnect the battery.
* If you are leaving a golf cart, put distilled water in the batteries, up to (but not over the water fill line.
* Unplug the appliances entertainment units, computers, etc. The lightning from the summer monsoon storms can wreak havoc on electrical equipment.
* Some people turn off the A/C completely. Some leave it on, but at a high temperature – like 90 or 95. Your decision should be based on any items being left in the house – anything you don’t want to dry out in the heat.
* If you have natural gas-turn off the gas at the main valve. And make sure to turn water heater off.
* Open the doors to washer, dryer, dishwasher, and any appliances that typically seals up.
*Close all blinds and drapes to keep as much heat out of the house as possible.
* Seal up non-perishable foods in plastic bags or containers with tight fitting lids to keep bugs and moisture out.
* Store candles in coolest, darkest part of the house. Replace batteries in fire alarms, automatic watering systems, thermostats′ and security systems.
Everyone’s homes. systems and issues are different. Some people leave for 3 months and some leave for seven months. Some of the items in this checklist, might not apply to your house and there maybe other items that you need to ADD to your checklist.
Use this information to create you own personal and permanent checklist.
Distributed March 26, 2019